Infinite Circle – a 100w story

This story is written in response to the photo prompt (below) for Friday Fictioneers, the finest flash fiction group on the web.

If you fancy joining the challenge, click here to go to host Rochelle Wisoff-Fields’ blog for details.

To read other contributions, click on the Blue Froggy

FF20180119 J Hardy Carroll

© J Hardy Carroll

Infinite Circle

Childhood sweethearts. That’s what people call us.

Adam and I sat together at school, walked home together.

We even had the same friends, though nowadays Margaret works for a London marketing company and Paul manages a five-star hotel in Singapore.

Adam inherited his father’s building firm, so he couldn’t leave. I planned on going to university. But Adam said he loved me so much he couldn’t bear for me to move away.

He’s still as charming as ever. In public.

And I still smile. In public.

Childhood sweethearts. That’s what people call us.

Was there ever a time when I could have walked away?

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

44 Responses to Infinite Circle – a 100w story

1. neilmacdon says:

Beautifully understated

Subtle, yet oh so very powerful.

3. James says:

She probably still could but it would be harder. She should have gone to university.

4. Iain Kelly says:

I’m sure there are many who reach this point in life. Nicely expressed.

5. pennygadd51 says:

Subtly written. You roll up the storm clouds almost unnoticed, and catch us in a deluge of icy rain. What a bleak conclusion.

6. Trapped. Ther are such bleak undertones in your words. Excellent.

Click to read my FriFic!

7. Cleverly done and very sad too.

Susan A Eames at
    Travel, Fiction and Photos

Subtle and layered. Loved the voice.

9. I’m an optimist. If people still call them sweethearts they can’t be fighting like cats and dogs, so maybe there’s still hope to kindle a new blaze in the old fireplace.

10. Woah! What a powerful ending. Absolutely loved it.

Sweethearts to all, but who knows what goes on behind closed doors? Nice one!

12. yarnspinnerr says:

The reader is enticed with the story not told here. Excellent as always.

13. granonine says:

Oh, please–walk away RIGHT NOW!

14. The keeping up of appearance is the worst thing really… Big sunglasses is a clear sign… hope she can leave still

15. Dale says:

Living a pretend life… how terribly sad.

16. tedstrutz says:

The time is now. Nice story, I liked the way you slyly led into the truth.

17. Dan Bohn says:

Mixed emotions here. This is a heart breaker story Siobhan.

18. Wow. That hits hard. Well done. :o)

19. This is so very well done. Have you been gone for awhile? Or have I just missed your posts? Thanks for the heartache of this ~ I meant that.

she could walk away if she wants to. who knows? he maybe thinking about the same thing.

21. Yup, that’s how it happens. You described this chillingly well.