Recolonisation – a 100w Story

My original idea for Friday Fictioneers turned into an 1800w short story which I had to keeping going with while it was flowing! (It’s here if anyone wants to read it)

This is my second and significantly shorter attempt, a bit more light-hearted, though I gather a real, actual problem in some places 😉

Thanks to ©Fatima Fakier Deria for this week’s photo prompt and to Rochelle for hosting this group so well and so patiently week after week.

To join the challenge by writing a 100w story inspired by the photo, click here

To read other contributions, click on the Blue Froggy

FF20170331

Recolonisation

“These are targeted attacks,” insisted the city councillor. “I saw them myself. Children are especially vulnerable.”

His own party shuffled in embarrassment. The opposition tittered. Headline writers rubbed their hands in glee.

No-one noticed young Fred leave his City Hall listening post to bring his report to HQ.

High Commander was grave. He called all comrades to HQ immediately. He needed to tell them to be more discreet or the whole recolonisation operation would be blown.

At the seafront, Ella screamed as the gulls gathered, but then smiled in relief when they all flew to the clifftop. Was it finally safe to eat ice-cream?

This entry was posted in Fiction, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Recolonisation – a 100w Story

1. Iain Kelly says:

Amusing take. Always raises a smile when this ‘problem’ appears on the news 🙂

On my side of the world we deal with Canadian geese. They no longer fly south for the winter. They just stick around and congregate–everywhere. No lollipop or ice cream stealing that I know of, though.
    Love your fine-feathered-truthful-tale.

3. trentpmcd says:

It can happened. I saw Alfred Hitchcock’s “The Birds”. Those things are dangerous – today your ice-cream cone, tomorrow, who knows? Good story.

4. beautyswot says:

I am with trentpmcd – I too saw The Birds 😉

5. michael1148humphris says:

A few days ago I watched a seagull pecking away at a window, it was trying to get in and take the food being eaten by two burly workmen! You reminded me of The Birds by Daphne du Maurier, I loved her writings.

6. Dale says:

I can still see my nephew, laughing, joking, holding his sandwich… and then.. Hey!!! Stolen! Right out of his hand!

No, Ella, no! It’s never safe to eat ice cream at the seaside… Nice one!
    I had my ice cream stolen by a seagull at Newquay once 😦

8. Rommy says:

LOL – I guess Fred is a popular name for seagulls! Though this is a much more lighthearted and fun take on the prompt than mine was. Very cute.

9. gahlearner says:

I love your organized gulls, headquarters and all. Great fun.

10. granonine says:

Gulls are the bane of the seashore.Great story.

11. What a fun take!!!! Kudos.

12. Michael Wynn says:

I’ve seen gulls swooping for ice cream and it’s funny to watch, so long as it’s not your ice cream and you can go home afterwards. Amusing take

13. I saw a documentary about gulls stealing ice-cream. So I can clearly see this.

14. amiewrites74 says:

This one made me laugh. Great story!

15. Clever last line. You made me smile.