Concrete Jungle – a 100w story

Thanks to ©Roger Bultot for this week’s Friday Fictioneers photo prompt and to group host Rochelle Wisoff-Fields for keeping everything running smoothly week after week.

To join the challenge of writing a 100w story inspired by any aspect of the photo, click here

To read other contributions, click the Blue Froggy

ff20170203

Concrete Jungle

Sam dreamed of a place where the sun always shone and the land was filled with exotic life.

He saw himself in a sun lounger by a pool, sipping an eternal cocktail while steak sizzled on a barbeque.

He had savings enough to get started, and he could find work.

Ach, thought Sam. Who would give an old sod like me a job? I should have made the leap years ago, found the courage to look beyond this concrete horizon when I had the chance.

He took a pierce-and-ping dinner from the freezer compartment, put it in the microwave and poured a glass of milk.

This entry was posted in Fiction, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

26 Responses to Concrete Jungle – a 100w story

1. Iain Kelly says:

A life of regrets, it happens to us all. Nicely done.

2. James says:

Nearly 23 years ago, my wife and I made the decision to move from Orange County, California (near Los Angeles) to Idaho. We did this when the nearest drive-by shooting to our home was a mile and a quarter away. We didn’t want our children to get shot.

When word got out at work that we were moving, quite a number of people complemented me on “getting out of the rat race” with a few saying they wished they had the courage to do the same.

For the first five years, I hated it here. Everything moved way too slow. Then eventually, I acclimated and now I can’t imagine moving back.

Sam did wait too long.

3. I think it’s never too late… but Sam seems to have decided to feel miserable.. (or he could start to enjoy his life where he is)

4. Good job with your story. I guess we all (us older ones, anyway) come to a point where we stop dreaming the impossible dream and settle down with the reality we have. But I’m with Bjorn: Sam could make the best of it, chuck that “pierce and ping” (love that!) dinner and get out for a proper meal. Lots of folks out there wishing for someone to chat with.

5. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover says:

No Sam don’t give up!

Never too late. I’ve never heard of ‘pierce and ping’. Such a graphic term. 🙂

No, Sam, don’t give up! I like the term “pierce and ping”, very apt for such a “meal” 🙂

Pierce and ping is a new one on me, too. Great term. Love the story. A lot of heart and longing layered between the lines. It’s never too late, Sam. 😉

9. Sam! Don’t give up. If you have the savings, use it! Nicely told tale, I feel everyone’s rooting for Sam.

10. Dale says:

Sam… it is never too late. I, too, loved the “Pierce and ping” to describe a frozen meal.. May just have to steal it (not that I have any of those in my freezer…)

11. michael1148humphris says:

Hope the milk gets to his brain and drives him into action. But not sure about the steak🙂

ah, as somebody said, if it’s not to your liking, change your liking. 🙂

13. jellico84 says:

Nicely written. And, oh, so true. Hubs and I were just talking along those lines not so long ago.

14. granonine says:

Pierce and ping dinner–love that!

15. wmqcolby says:

My grandpa (I never knew him, my dad told me this) used to say, “Wish in one hand and s—t in the other and tell me which gets full the quickest.” One wishes, the other acts. Acting gets results.

Pierce and ping — I’m spreading that one around. Great story, Siobhan!

16. I believe in the infinite possibility of change… hope he tosses the “pierce and ping” (I can guess what it is and love the quirky term!) and follows his dreams. So many don’t.

17. Sometimes I think of moving away but then I think like Sam…..
    However, I live in the beautiful countryside..so really..it would be silly.
    Thought provoking story.

18. handmadejewelryhaven says:

I can smell the sweet fragrance of the frozen drink and almost taste the juicy steak.
    I hope he finds his dreams.

Thanks for reminding us that it is never too late.

Found your blog on FF and hope you can visit mine also 🙂

– Lisa