Horse and Trap – a 100w story

This week’s 100-word story photo prompt comes from Friday Fictioneers host Rochelle Wisoff-Fields.

The challenge as always is to write a piece of flash fiction inspired by the photo. To join the fun, click here

To read other contributions, click on the blue frog

ff20161214

Horse and Trap

When Susie was little, she dreamed of owning lots of horses, endless fields and her own paddock.
Jack’s horses were nasty, like their owner.
Had he seen her outside Women’s Aid? They said Jack mustn’t know she was leaving.
She thought of Poppy, the one horse she loved. With heavy heart she pulled on her boots to go and say goodbye.
Susie stopped in shock in the kitchen. Jack never cooked.
His face writhed in smug malevolence as he lifted a lump of bleeding meat from a bucket onto the stove.
‘Medium rare?’ he asked, adding a handful of salt.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Horse and Trap – a 100w story

Oh no! Why do I have the feeling that he’s serving her a Poppy steak? Jack really is a horrid person. Good job…but ugh!

2. ceayr says:

Excellent gory story, love it

OMG! These poor horses this week! Well done.

4. Iain Kelly says:

Haha, love this Siobhan – you went one further than my story and cooked the horse 🙂

5. The emotion really came through in this.

I don’t think “nasty” even comes close to describing Jack. Great story, though quite chilling.

7. wmqcolby says:

Jack IS nasty. I take it leaving him was both beneficial and a secret she needed to keep to herself. Now it’s confirmed.

Ewwwww! Nice job, but I think I’m gonna retch.

8. Rowena says:

A little too well done (or should I say rare under cooked?) You have really crafted a very sinister and chilling scene here, reminding me somewhat of that dreadful scene in Fatal Attraction where the child’s rabbit ends up in the pot.
    This prompt did have a grim element to the scene.
    xx Rowena

9. Oh my word … he’s a terrible person.

10. Eww… Nasty. But interesting take on the pic. Well done!

it was the right decision for susie to leave. she runs the risk of being next on the cooking pot.

Jack appears to be the epitome of evil. I bet he doesn’t even like horse meat, but obviously relishes the opportunity to terrify Susie.

13. gahlearner says:

Oh what a nasty piece of work that Jack is. You really bring out our emotions in this story. I wouldn’t be surprised if Jack ended up in the stew one of these days.

14. That was a real punch to the gut! Amazing how the same photo can elicit such different stories from us all! Well done, even through the chills.

15. Oh! What a S#*t. Sorry, that’s just what I thought. Well done.