Dance Me To The End of Love – a 100w story

From the moment I looked at the picture prompt courtesy of ©Björn Rudberg, I couldn’t get the title song out of my head. I had to sleep on it to work it into a 100-word story for this week’s Friday Fictioneers challenge.

To join the fun, write your own 100-word story based on the prompt. More info here

To read other contributions, click on the blue frog

20161118

Dance Me To The End of Love

“What’s the song for your first dance?” asked Peter

Johnnie fumbled with his cuff-links.

“Some moody old thing Olivia likes.”

Olivia stood alone in her mother’s bedroom, the mirror’s reflection showing a beautiful figure in sparkling white.

She tried to smile but couldn’t as she realised her dream of marriage was too different from Johnnie’s.

Olivia walked to her place of solace, the shore path where surging waves caught her dress. Leonard Cohen hummed in her head as she shed tears of burning grief and shame.

Everyone would be at the church. Waiting.

She stood and watched the tumultuous turning of the tide, then braced herself and rang Johnnie.

This entry was posted in Fiction, Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Dance Me To The End of Love – a 100w story

Oh no, poor Johnnie! It’s probably for the best in the long run, though, if she feels like that. I thought for one moment she was going to fling herself into the waves…

2. Dale says:

Better to call it off last minute than to find herself in the wrong marriage. And, perfect timing for Leonrad Cohen… Now I’m humming it!

3. Iain Kelly says:

Oh no. I have some sympathy for Johnnie here, not a great time to make this decision! Nice take on the prompt.

4. Rowena says:

Great take on the prompt and I really felt the pain of this situation…for both parties. Ultimately, however, they could both well be singing “Alleluia” down the track.
    xx Rowena

5. I just got a chill… for real. This story hums with regret and loss, and yet hope. Too many don’t follow through with that call, and live with regret. I’m hoping she doesn’t jump.

6. I do love how you used Cohen for this week… so timely and so well done… I think the decision was probably for the best though

7. Dear Siobhan,

I suppose better to realize now than years later when they’re both miserable. Of course I have Leonard Cohen singing in my ear now. Wonderful song, sad, but wonderful story.

8. Life Lessons of a Dog Lover says:

Simply lovely. I like how you used the choice in their music to symbolize their differences.

9. Michael Wynn says:

Left t the altar, harsh but for the best in the long run.