Wounded- a flash fiction

This week’s contribution for Friday Fictioneers is below, with thanks to ©Madison Woods for the photo prompt and Rochelle Wisoff-Fields for hosting the weekly 100-word story challenge.

To get involved click here

To read other contributions, click on the blue froggy.

20160422

Wounded

Joe had certainly inherited his father’s skill.
Joseph Senior’s passion had resulted in stunning hybrid roses and a trophy cabinet unequalled on the garden show circuit.
Old George remembered those past shows fondly. He placed a rough hand on Joe’s shoulder as he presented him with ‘Best In Show’ for his deep red floribunda.
The old man’s touch transported Joe back to his father’s earthy shed where Joseph Senior hugged him close and told him he was the finest rose ever, before pushing hard against him and panting while Joe prayed for the ‘hug’ to end.
“I must visit your garden,” said George
“It’s private,” replied Joe coldly.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to Wounded- a flash fiction

1. Mike says:

Well done, it’s so sad that past events haunt someone’s life.

2. IfeomaO says:

Leave the past where it is, I believe. Good one.

That turned suddenly dark. Great powerful story.

4. neilmacdon says:

I almost missed the sting. I only saw it on re-reading. But the punch of “it’s private” comes through either way

5. gahlearner says:

Heartbreaking. Even more so as you skilfully move the association for roses from something lovely to pure horror for a child. I hope he burned the shed.

6. wmqcolby says:

Whoa. That hit hard. Structured very well, good characters.
    Way to go, Siobhan!

7. I love it. and I think Joe should keep his fences raised… I wonder if the old man understands what he has done.

8. Laurie Bell says:

Oh woah. I can sense the anger in that last line. Since a pretty image of the flower covering something so dark and horrible.

Beautifully done – and such a contrast in the images that it conjured up.

That ending was certainly a surprise. Well done.

11. Oh my..that left a sour feeling in my gut.

12. Wow, what you did there Siobhán… deeply moving, and disturbing, all at once. I had to slow down, and savor it, a 2nd time to fully grasp the meaning… just amazing.

13. What a memory to hold! Pain and pride held together! Sad