Crossroads – a 100 word story

I have been absent from my blog for the last few months due to a personal difficulty. My partner of 20 years (who became my husband six weeks ago) was diagnosed with lung cancer at the start of the summer. Although it felt long at the time, it was a relatively short battle that ended with his death last month.

Writing has kept me sane throughout the last few months, helped me to understand my own feelings and to make some bit of sense of what was happening. Perhaps little of what I wrote at that time will ever see the light of day, I don’t know yet. It’s too soon to step back far enough to look at it with a critical, editing eye but I’ll get there.

Anyhow, I’ve missed my blog, and especially the weekly anticipation of Friday Fictioneers. I am glad to be back and I look forward to reading everyone else’s stories.

Thanks to Rochelle for her patience and commitment in hosting this group and helping us all to grow as writers.

To read other stories inspired by the picture prompt below, click on the blue frog.

©Ron Pruitt

©Ron Pruitt

Crossroads

Emily loved the buzz rippling through the travellers ahead of their journey but she felt achingly empty when the bus carried them away, leaving her to clear the dirty tables.
Today though, she had met Bren. He was a biker from the next village, catching the bus to the city to pick up a part for his Harley.
His friendly but slightly distant smile filled Emily with the adventure of endless open roads. She didn’t know if Bren would ever come back to her family’s diner but it didn’t matter.
Something had awoken inside Emily and she would never be the same again.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

46 Responses to Crossroads – a 100 word story

Lovely story – sometimes it just needs a small event to rekindle something inside you.

So sorry to hear of your loss.

2. gahlearner says:

I’m so sorry for your loss.
    Your story is wonderfully hopeful. I hope life gets better everntually for you, too, maybe even with new adventures.

I’m so sorry to hear of your bereavement Siobhan. My father died of lung cancer and it was a long and protracted illness, spanning several years. At times like this, I really do feel that writing is a great help. Your story this week was simple and effective. I felt a sense of change for the better in your character’s life, a feeling of hopefulness. Chin up.

My husband is a biker so I smiled at the Harley part. Is there any other type of bike? Not in his world. Wonderful story.

I’m so very sorry for your loss. As I said on my blog, I have noticed your absence and have missed you. I’m going to step out an a limb here and direct you to Dale, #45 who lost her husband last December. I think, perhaps, you could be a comfort to one another. (I hope I’m not overstepping my boundaries.)

Blessings, hugs and shalom,

5. Great little story. Hope he does turn up one evening – rev the bike outside, throw her the spare helmet, take her away for a break.

You’ve had a hard time. Happy you are back and, it seems, being strong.

6. I was excited to see your response to my story, thinking, “Gosh it’s been awhile since I’ve read anything by Siobhan.” I’m sorry about your loss and am glad you’re using our merry band of FF writers to help you get strong again.
    This is a delightfully upbeat story. May Harley-Man zip in unexpectedly and sweep her off her feet.

7. Dear Siobhan,
    I, too, had missed seeing you on FF, and was happy to see you back, and then very sad to hear of your loss. I hope he didn’t suffer terribly, or at least that he had good pain management medication. (I hate cancer with a passion. I saw my father die of it in 2010, and in India, pain management is not as good as it’s in the US. My sister and I basically ordered the doctor to give him morphine for his pain, because it’s illegal in India. Somehow, they managed to give him some in the last two days of his life, bringing some relief.)
    Your story, however, filled me with a sense of possibility. Beautifully written. And yes, people do change us, don’t they?
    In sympathy,
    Vijaya

• Thank you Vijaya. Fortunately the pain was managed well, especially once the decision was made that treatment wasn’t working. He had a mix of sedative and morphine that was increased gradually. It was tough to watch him fading away but at least the pain seemed to be under control. I have heard terrible stories of suffering in the final stages of cancer so at least he was spared that. I had no idea morphine was illegal in India. It is so hard to watch loved ones suffer.

8. Oh so sorry for your loss… cancer is a brutal fiend. I had missed your stories, and really liked this one. Sometimes, it might be just a smile like that that put things in motion.

at the crossroads, it doesn’t matter which route to take. it’s how you deal it with that counts.
    i’m sorry for your loss. like the others, i miss your presence. i’m glad and excited that you’re back.

I love the title, Crossroads. We come to many of those in our life-journey. I sense that Emily saw something in Bren that gave her the courage, determination, and confidence to break free of her current situation. What sweet release.

Please accept my heartfelt condolences. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

11. My heartfelt condolences Siobhan. Be gentle with yourself, baby steps xx

12. Susan Langer says:

I enjoyed your story. God Bless. 🙂

13. Dale says:

Dearest Siobhan,
    My deepest condolences to you. Rochelle did well by directing you to me, should you ever want or need to just talk to someone who knows.
    I have found that writing has been beyond beneficial. That and walking my dog, Zeke!
    Your story is wonderful and shows that you, too, have found (will find) that thing that awakens you and allows you to enjoy this beautiful life. Perfect mix of music and story.
    Much love, Dale xo

14. rogershipp says:

So sorry to hear of your loss.

THe story has just the right amount of a hope being birthed. Well done!

15. Amy Reese says:

I’m so sorry to hear of your loss, Siobhan. I’m glad to hear writing has helped you through it. I loss my dad this year and writing helped me a lot, too. I enjoyed your story very much. It had the sense of adventure and longing I think we all crave from time to time. If there’s anything I can do, please let me know. Take care.

16. Aww. Welcome back.
    Just a little thing, most times, is enough to reignite a flame – little or large.
    Randy

17. I’m so sorry for your loss. I hope writing is therapeutic for you. I suspect it will be and we will be reading more beautiful 100 word stories like this one as you journey through your grief.

18. hafong says:

I feel as if I’ve been on that bus, at that diner, at that crossroad. Condolences for your loss. May you have safe passage through your crossroads.

Lily

19. Siobhan, so very sorry for the loss of your partner and husband. I looked for email several times, and didn’t see you on FB either. Given our occasional chats, I was surprised to find you weren’t there. Each time I checked your blog there was nothing. I follow you, so to speak, so just figured you were busy with other writing. All of this to say: I’m sorry for the disconnect. I’ve missed you, and wondered so many times. Sending you strength and understanding.

The story, already touching, is that much more impactful in knowing from where the writer has been. Missed connections and roads not traveled… beautiful story.

20. Even the rainiest day has it’s beauty, making us remember how we danced under the sun. And when the rain wash our tears away, there comes a time when we start looking for that ray of light.
    I am so sorry for your loss, but I do hope you’ll find your way through the labyrinth of words.
    Reading your story makes me think you will. ( ❤ )

21. So sorry to hear of your loss, Siobhan. Welcome back. Good story. I hope things work out well for your character in future. — Suzanne

22. I’m happy for you that you married but so sorry to hear of your loss. Over time you can look back at your writing done during this difficult sad time and perhaps let it see the light of day.
    Your flash is full of new beginnings and is lovely.