Sacrifice – a 100 word story

Below is this week’s contribution to the 100-word story group Friday Fictioneers. This week’s photo prompt is courtesy of ©Rachel Bjerke.

To find out how to get involved click here

To read other contributions, click on the blue frog

FF 20150320

Friday Fictioneers prompt for March 20, 2015 ©Rachel Bjerke

Sacrifice

If stones could talk could they bear to tell of that to which they have borne witness?

Hunger drives people to desperate measures and the darkness helps to veil their shame. So it was that as the villagers were displaced they succumbed to that most abhorrent of acts.

First to go were the weak, the old, the maimed. But even the fittest cannot survive alone and soon all were gone and nature reclaimed their ramshackle settlement.

These stones can’t talk.

But every so often an anguished scream seeps through the cracks and the forest shudders into silence.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to Sacrifice – a 100 word story

Dear Siobhan,

You took us deep into the forest this week. Humankind is not.

I could almost hear the stones. The last line is quite lovely and made me shudder.

3. micklively says:

Are we talking cannibals here? I often wonder why people are made of meat.

4. This is such a good read. How that place must hurt.

5. Moving story! The last line spoke volumes to me! Well done!

6. I can hear the anguish from here. Wonderful tale of darkness and tragedy.

Dark and creepy, excellent last line.

8. gahlearner says:

Such a sad tale, so well told.

9. Creepy yet poignant. Excellent

10. This is incredibly sad! I will never be able to look at a homeless person the same again.

11. Jan Brown says:

Gruesome– in a good way! Your last line is particularly chilling.

12. Very graphic..and that’s a good thing.

Graphic and atmospheric. Well done Siobhan.

14. Hunger does terrible things too people.. and maybe we should listen and learn from the rocks.

15. Great perspective of the prompt, really takes you to a dark place and makes you think.

16. Glad I already had dinner before I read this. Good story, but “yuk”

17. Margaret says:

Wonderfully told. The brooding mystery of the setting is powerfully described. Such a tragic story.

18. Creatopath says:

A great story. Sad and chilling. I liked how you started your story with the question. It drew me in and I had to find out what it was that these stones saw.

19. This is written so beautifully, that despite the grim subject, I enjoyed the flow of the words.