If time travel exists how come no one has ever comes back to tell us?

Below is my 100-word story for Friday Fictioneers. The prompt this week is the beautiful photograph below by ©Dawn Q Landau

To find out how to get involved in this weekly flash fiction challenge/group, click here

To read other contributions, click here

19092014

If time travel exists how come no one has ever comes back to tell us?

Unnoticed by those going about their business below, Charlie could see global warming had been devastating.

The great coastal cities were gone. No surprise there, he thought. What did surprise him was the ingenuity of the mountain people. They had carved stepped terraces into the hillside, reduced erosion with retaining walls and looked quite comfortable walking from one shallow pool to the next.

It reminded Charlie of the happiest time in his life, walking on the beach with his Grandma as the tide swirled round their ankles.

How could he return to 2016, knowing that by reporting on this future he would destroy it?

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

63 Responses to If time travel exists how come no one has ever comes back to tell us?

A touching and thought provoking story. What would we do if we could visit the future? Perhaps we’re better off not knowing. I do know that I’m living the science fiction of my childhood.

Nicely done.

• Thanks Rochelle, I think we’re better off not knowing too!

• I love the dilemma of wanting to know the future in hopes that the information and insight might help to change the future now for the better.
        But then again, it’s all academic, isn’t it?

We can almost predict the future now, but we still have to go through our song and dance to process information, and hope that we make the necessary corrections.

Then a meteor shower hits us. wipes us all out, like the dinosaurs, and it’s all for naught anyway.

I’m going to finish my graham crackers and milk. Anyone care for some?

Good story by the way.

Randy

• And I thought wiping out coastal cities was being pessimistic!
        Enjoy your crackers and thanks for stopping by 🙂

A thought provoking response to the prompt. Nice work.

3. Interesting question. Perhaps a time traveler who returned to present time would be heralded as being mentally unstable ? Good story 🙂

4. I think if we went to the future it would be a one-way trip…

Dear Siobhan,

Paradoxes will surely clog up the time stream pipeline so none of that can ever happen. Hard telling, not knowing… Your story was a treat. Well done.

6. Siobhan, Interesting and entertaining story. I’m one who doesn’t want to know what the future holds. Well written. 🙂 —Susan

7. “If time travel exists how come no one has ever comes back to tell us?” Because no one believes us when we do!
    Good story.
    Sinceriously,
    TimeTraveler

8. The way I see it, if travel into the past were possible, the grassy knoll would have been crowded with tourists from the future, all clicking little cameras. 😛

9. I do enjoy a good time travel story on occasion. This was one of those occasions.

10. Nicely-framed tale with the last question.

11. In the sci-fi movies that deal with time travel, the biggest problem (or temptation) seems to be doing something that would change the past (which would also change the future.) But I like your question about why no one comes back. Maybe you found the answer.

12. liz young says:

So they don’t come ack because they like their future as it is? That’s more optimistic than those awful sci-fi movies where there are only sky high cities.

13. I wish we could do something about it all.
    I wonder what the answer to your question is?

14. Nicely done. The picture is so interesting – are those stones? Pools? What? You really did a nice job incorporating all those ideas into 100 great words.

15. Einstein claimed that time travel was theoretically possible. Mr. Peabody., Sherman’ s friend, insisted that no one should visit a time during which he was already alive. That means I have to miss out on the 1960’s.

16. Really interesting story. Well done.

17. A touching story, Siobhan. The future is so fragile, I think. If we could go forward and come back with advice, would we? Should we? Some wonderful thoughts and imagery.

18. camgal says:

Quite the thought provoking piece.

19. Interesting story. One of the biggest problems with time travel is that if you return to anything other than the split second you left, there will be another you there. And then you’d get to see why everyone treats you like they do first hand! Yep, lots of problems with time travel.

20. Fantastic story, Siobhan! The last line was like a punch to the solar plexus. I found the whole story moving, indeed.

21. mscwhite says:

Great story! The final line is beautiful!

Lovely story, and it shows there might be some hope for the future after all!

23. K.Z. says:

a beautiful and moving piece… perhaps there is some hope for humankind. 🙂

24. I guess there is something to be valued in every era isn’t there? Even the very darkest times have some light and the shadows only stand to enhance the luminosity.

25. AnnIsikArts says:

I never know what time it is anyway! Time and space are fascinating topics, curved space, the Butterfly Effect, Lorentz Equations, the cosmic microwave background, 10 dimensional hyperspace … 🙂

26. margirene says:

Loved this story. Huge issues examined through a human-sized lens. Marg

27. Elizabeth says:

Hi Siobhan, it’s a dark future, I hope never be like that, I enjoy walking on the beach and all the goodness of Nature. Well written, we need to be more gentle with our Earth!

Dear Siobhan, This is a wonderful story! Very astute of you to figure out. I think that if there is time travel – it is like “OBSERVE ONLY” and no one can interact with the past or future. I don’t know, I think my head is going to explode thinking about this. Great writing! Nan 🙂

29. wmqcolby says:

Charlie had a dilemma, all right, all right. Excellent story, Siobhan! Narration real crisp and taught. You even had me at The Time Tunnel pic! I love that show! I have it on DVD.
    Keep the Irwin Allen lamp burning!

Like the narrator, I’m not sure you’d want to go back. A very thought provoking tale, Siobhan.