Dust to Dust – a 100-word story

Ok, this is my second attempt to return to Friday Fictioneers. With the kids back at school I hope to have plenty of time to read everybody’s stories! My own story is below the picture.

The prompt for this week’s 100-word story is a photo by group host ©Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

To find out how to get involved, click here

To read other contributions, click here

05092014

Friday Fictioneers prompt for September 5, 2014 ©Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Dust to Dust

I learned Esperanto in a dusty attic classroom. There were eight of us and we believed our optimism could change the world.
Three were lost in the rubble when the bomb hit our building. I was saved from that horror by my preference for a seat in the back corner, clambering out while walls crumbled.
The others tried to run. Two were shot in the back, another two dragged into the soldiers’ truck.
I kicked my book of Esperanto into the flames and fled the agonising cries as my people, my town and my hope turned to dust.

This entry was posted in Fiction. Bookmark the permalink.

49 Responses to Dust to Dust – a 100-word story

Well-written and tragic.

PS I admire anyone who finds the time to write with growing children. 😉

2. All too real a tale, well told.

3. Alas .. this is all too true.. I could see this happening actually

4. Dee says:

Very well done Siobhan, You painted the picture so well, I could imagine the horror.
    I remember Esperanto once being touted as the ‘ one International language’ wonder what happened to it
    Dee

5. wmqcolby says:

Esperanto. Who knew?
    Good take on the prompt this week, Siobhan! I saw a lot of good thing in this one. It put me in the story.

6. Siobhán, kudos on a story well told. On a completely different topic, where did you get the “Make tea, not war.” Love it.

The ‘Make tea, not war’ is a photograph I took in Derry, Northern Ireland a few years ago. It was a small hand-painted sign that was screwed onto a wall in the City Centre, I had passed it loads of times and it always made me smile, so one day I made a point of bringing a camera and took a picture of it. I’m glad I took the photo as I don’t think the sign is there anymore.
      It has particularly significance in Derry/Londonderry due to the horrors of the sectarian conflict in Northern Ireland, Though life is not perfect there yet, it has come a long way and there is now a generation of young adults (the first ‘peace babies’) that never knew that conflict.

7. Very tragic tale, universal in time and place. So sad we didn’t learn from past mistakes.

8. Really powerful story. Good job.

9. Wonderfully thought out tale. I could feel dust in my throat, panic and loss.

10. Elizabeth says:

Wow! Your writing is very good, so sad this story. Only imaging that in some parts of the world this can be happening right now.

Dear Siobhan, Such a wonderfully told story – you capture the horror of an ordinary thing like going to class and then BAM! war hits. Excellent told story. I’m glad there are new babies that have grown up and called “peace babies”. Wonderful that – at least for a time – there has been peace and calm! Wow – you are a good writer! Nan 🙂

12. Siobhan, It’s nice to know that peace is holding somewhere. Good and realistic story. It could happen in so many places. Well written. —Susan

13. A really powerful story – well done.

14. Welcome back Siobhan! Clearly you’re back with a bang! Powerful, vivid story that is all too commonly played out around the world.

15. shanx says:

Tragic and well captured 🙂

Great story! The irony of learning the international language, designed to help people communicate, while the nations are killing each other.

17. BrainRants says:

Great message, and delivered with subtlety.

18. K.Z. says:

powerful, tragic, horrific… well done.

19. Pat says:

Very powerfully written, capturing the terror of the moment. And welcome to FF – certainly seem like an “old hand” at this. Great story. 🙂

20. liz young says:

Good story and tragic – it’s happening all over the world right now.

21. Great use of 100 words, especially with kids in the house!

• Thank you Dawn. It can be a challenge with the kids but they have got to the point where the ‘help’ – my eight year-old daughter has the makings of a very good editor!

• That is so fun. My oldest one had a talent for drawing but for the most part he was my only creative child. I’m working on my grandson; if not the writing thing I think he has the potential for “developing an eye”.

22. anupat says:

Esperanto..had never heard of this.Great!:)

23. hafong says:

There is hope since he/she escaped. Good take on the prompt.

Lily

a tragic story where optimism was dashed by reality. well done.