20062014

Photo prompt for Friday Fictioneers 20 June 2014 ©Mary Shipman

Below is this week’s 100-word story for Friday Fictioneers.

The photo prompt is courtesy of ©Mary Shipman

To find out how to get involved in this weekly writing challenge, click here

To read other contributions, click here

Genre: Fiction

Item 401: Letter found among the brickwork during renovation of government buildings

Dear Friend

Transcript:

Dear friend,
Writing this letter is surely my last act but I must warn everyone.
Our new leader has terrible plans.
I overheard him while I was cleaning the office next to his. I left as quietly as I could but there was a guard outside his door and my efforts to appear hard of hearing were pitiful.
I fear for this country. I fear for all countries. Most of all I fear for my own kind. Never have I heard such raw hatred in a man’s voice.
I hear their footsteps on the stairs.
God save us all.
Yours si

©Siobhan McNamara

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to A 100-word story – Item 401: Letter found among the brickwork during renovation of government buildings

Very dramatically constructed. Well done.

2. As Sandra said, well done.

3. Beware! This is a good cliffhanger story.

4. Ouch.. I just hope the letter is not being written as we speak..

5. Whew, this one jolted my heart rate. Awesome tension building and such a powerful voice. Brrr that gave me chills! 🙂

6. Really different. Well done.

7. Horus says:

Wonder whats gonna hit all of us – 🙂

8. Oh dear, the ending says it all. Good story, Siobhan, presented creatively.

Tantalising! I wonder what this poor chap discovered, and if the person who found the letter will investigate?
    I love the letter-format of this – very clever.

• Thanks draliman 🙂
      I have my own ideas about the answers to those questions, but I decided to leave it as open to the reader as possible, especially as Friday Fictioneers has such an international range of contributors and readers

10. Siobhan, Great story creatively done. I could just see the poor person writing it. He/she must have survived long enough to stick it into the crevice. Because of the usage of words and beautiful script, I would imagine it was either sometime at the beginning of the 20th Century or before. Also, the building was being renovated, so it was an old building. Well written. I agree that it would be a great beginning for a longer story. 🙂 —Susan

11. elappleby says:

I love it when people try out different ways of bringing us their 100 word stories and this one was a winner. The cut off before finishing was nicely done too. Great stuff.

Dear Siobhan, Wow, what a neat idea to write a letter! Fantastic idea! Very well done and entertaining. I wonder what was happening? Awesome and thanks! Nan 🙂

13. Siobhan, Out. Of. The. Park! This is so creative, fun and well done! I could feel the anxiety and tension mount, and then the name trailing off… wonderful! The format is so original for FF… Brilliant!

14. subroto says:

Intriguing! The narrator discovered when writing a last warning letter. Great ending.

Your use of the letter form is quite effective. Wonderfully tense and dramatic.

shalom,

16. Great approach. I just hope that leader has been superseded by someone less evil.