Below is my 100-word story for this week’s Friday Fictioneers.

To find out how to get involved, click here.

To read other contributions, click here.

This week’s photo prompt is courtesy of ©Sandra Crook

Friday Fictioneers prompt for 16/05/2014 Follow Like Sheep A research spaceship landed on a remote hillfarm and the occupants took on the appearance of the first natives they encountered.  The visitors liked the innocuous creatures and after a few weeks, had settled comfortably into their warm, woolly coats.  When dogs came and herded the sheep into the back of a lorry, the visitors were curious. But as they neared the abattoir, their highly-tuned senses registered the horror ahead. They burst out of the lorry and fled.  It was only when they changed back to themselves, well away from that barbaric planet, that they realised the earth-sheep had come too. © Sandra Crook

Friday Fictioneers prompt for 16/05/2014
© Sandra Crook

A research spaceship landed on a remote hillfarm and the occupants took on the appearance of the first natives they encountered.  The visitors liked the innocuous creatures and after a few weeks, had settled comfortably into their warm, woolly coats.

When dogs came and herded the sheep into the back of a lorry, the visitors were intrigued. But as they neared the abattoir, their highly-tuned senses registered the horror ahead. They burst out of the lorry and fled.

It was only when they changed back to themselves, well away from the barbaric planet, that they realised some earth-sheep had come too.

© Siobhán McNamara

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

40 Responses to Follow Like Sheep

1. Hey thank you so very much for improving my vocabulary. The aliens should never have assumed that sheep were the only creatures on earth

2. Love it, Siobhan. Very creative use of the prompt.

Dear Siobhan, Good job and interesting tale – I bet they hot footed out of this planet when they realized they were going to lose their warm, soft coats! You sure have a way with words! Nan 🙂

4. Jan Brown says:

The ending is brilliant. Those poor aliens!

That’s a very clever concept and you handled it well. Nice work!

6. Ha, that end is absolutely perfect. Wonder if they became honorary citizens

7. I wonder if they’ll eat the earth sheep? (My comment in direct contrast to Bjorn’s.)

8. A cute little story. With Aliens. Nicely done

9. That was pretty funny and quite a creative take on the photo-prompt! Alien sheep, yes!

10. Well, the aliens may well enjoying eating the sheep so much that they will return and steal all the rest. Damn.

Very good! I wonder what they’ll do with the actual sheep? I never thought someone would come up with some sci-fi from this photo!

• Sci-fi is way out of my comfort zone but I am surrounded by sheep here, so I had to take a bit of a leap to see them creatively. Generally my view of sheep involves chasing them out of the garden 🙂

Clever story. Space-sheep. I like.

13. Very clever! The great escape.

14. Lucy says:

Alien in sheep’s clothing. Love it. Well done. Lucy

15. Siobhan, It’s a good thing the aliens escaped in time. It might have started an intergalactic war. As for the sheep with them, they will probably be taken back to be kept in some alien zoo, safe from the barbaric Earth people. It looks like we’ll be getting a bad reputation. 🙂 Good and humorous story. Well done. 🙂 —Susan

16. Ade Branwell says:

I really liked this! Good to hear some of the sheep managed to hitch a ride to safety!

That was clever. I liked the twist at the end too.

18. Very clever, Siobhan! Thanks for the giggle. 🙂