Magnetic Reaction

Below is this week’s 100-word story for Friday Fictioneers. The photo prompt is courtesy of  © B W Beacham.

To find out how to get involved, click here

To read other contributions, click here

09052014

Friday Fictioneers prompt for 09/05/2014 © B W Beacham

Magnetic Reaction

Marjorie didn’t complain much when a marina was built yards from her home. At least she had a decent class of people admiring her ‘Petit Chateau.’

And she tolerated the pylons as the price of progress.

But having a cut-price supermarket destroy her view was simply unacceptable. Along with her engineer husband George, she hatched a plan.

The supermarket bosses never discovered why trolleys were being pulled into the nearby silt, along with furious customers.

The gin and tonic Marjorie sipped on her balcony as the trucks took the last pieces of the supermarket away was the sweetest of her life.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

30 Responses to Magnetic Reaction

1. Gina says:

Great story, Siobhan. I like how your character resolved her problem.

2. znjavid says:

Nice take on the prompt!
    Zainab

3. Sorchia D says:

And who can blame her? Splendid work. She deserves her gin and tonic.

4. Ha! Efforts rewarded! A nice tale.

5. Jan Brown says:

The trolleys were being pulled into the silt, along with the customers? So…I’m guessing the customers are now buried in the silt…pulled screaming to their untimely deaths. She better drink that gin and tonic quickly…I fear there will be a warrant out for her arrest soon!

There’s a lady with chutzpah. Unique take on the prompt. I enjoyed it.

shalom,

7. I loved how much the sentence this sentence reveals about her character: “At least she had a decent class of people admiring her “petit chateau.”

8. Interesting story of how she took charge to preserve nature and her sanity. Like Karen, I really liked your phrase “petit chateau.” There was lovely energy and suspense within this story! Very well done!

9. Now that’s inventive, Siobhan! Good job.

10. Siobhan, That seems to have been a bad place to build that supermarket in the first place. She may have done the owners a favor by saving them from later flood damage. Well written. 🙂

Susan

11. Great! At least SOMEONE is taking action against big stores. I tip my glass (of gin and tonic) to Marjorie

12. Lucy says:

That make me so laugh. I enjoyed it. Great take on the prompt. Lucy

13. Lucy says:

Will you look at that sentence? That’s what gin does to you, honey.

14. How did they do that? Good move, regardless. Good story.

• I think they’ll be keeping their method to themselves. George is a clever fellow who would go to great lengths to please Marjorie – for the sake of a quiet life!
      Thanks for reading 🙂

15. Lovely story. The HS2 route is going to pass quite close to my house so I might take a leaf out of your MC’s book.