A Scientific Solution

Below is this week’s 100-word story for Friday Fictioneers. The photo prompt for this week is courtesy of  ©Renee Heath

To find out how to get involved, click here

To view storys by other contributors, click here

02052014

Friday Fictioneers prompt for May 2, 2014. ©Renee Heath

A Scientific Solution

Neighbours said David was soft in the head. His teachers thought him a genius. He particularly loved chemistry but his parents were Believers who said science was evil.

When David stopped coming to school, the concerned Headmaster called to the house. David opened the door, brimming with excitement beneath his goggles and white coat.

“I’ve done it,” he said. “I’ve disappeared Mom and Dad. Well, nearly. The bones just went gooey. Do you think this will get me a Nobel Prize?”

Meanwhile in school, Ms Antimony’s inventory was not going well. She was missing an extremely odd combination of chemicals.

This entry was posted in Fiction and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

57 Responses to A Scientific Solution

1. Ah.. I guess that craziness and geniality live as very close neighbors…

I’ve heard it said there’s a thin line between genius and insanity. I have to wonder how the Headmaster will handle the situation. Dark humor nicely done.

3. Great story, very entertaining.

4. high five and raspberries says:

insane/genius…it’s all in the interpretation . Someone has some explaining to do..lol
    Great story!

5. 3rd stanza made me laugh out loud! Really liked this one – specifically the way you set it up.

6. I think you’ve got an evil genius in the making. There seems to be a lot of backstory between him and his parents. Somehow, I don’t think he’ll get the Nobel Prize, although who knows? 🙂
    -David

7. Dee says:

I loved this peep into the mind of this young man. Evil or insane… not sure, but you nailed it.
    Well done
    Dee

8. Siobhan, I doubt his young man will finish his education at his present school. This was an evil genius in the making and no one seemed aware of it. O_o Your story was dark and humorous both and done well indeed. 🙂

Susan

9. Yuck! Now I have a vision of gooey bones in my head. So well done. You took a delightfully dark turn with your story. Genius and creepiness in a bad combination. Kudos.

Gooey bones… delightful stuff. I’m not sure he’s going to get the Nobel prize though.

11. Ooh, gooey bones and parents meeting their demise through self-fulfilling prophecy. Great take on the prompt, Siobhan.

12. Hurrah, Siobhan, a happy story (unless you’re Mom and Dad), but hilarious no matter what. I’m still smiling after laughing aloud.

13. Vee dC says:

My jaw dropped at the end. Great job!

14. Jan Brown says:

An enjoyable read. What a wicked twist at the end!!!

15. wmqcolby says:

To quote an old American comedy line, “Can you imagine what that stuff does to your stomach?”
    Well-done!

16. Judah First says:

Reminds me of one of my favorite short stories by Ray Bradbury (published in “The Illustrated Man”) – “The Veldt”. I read it as a child and have never forgotten it! Nice take on the prompt!

17. elappleby says:

An evil genius at work! Made my bones tingle to read it 🙂

18. I had to laugh at the absurdity of his excitement over disappearing his mom and dad. I love creepy humor. 🙂

19. Oh… A menacing story with humorous undertones. Or is that the other way round? Regardless, a good story.

mom and dad were right in this case. science is really evil.

21. As soft as wax. Great piece of drama. Have a prize.

Sounds like he would make a great villian in a Superhero movie. I can just see Batman or Spiderman battling such a nemisis.

23. Intriguing story….. well written.

24. jenniesisler says:

Love the combination of humor and creepiness! Is it sick to say I’m rooting for him to win the Nobel?

25. Amy Reese says:

Great concoction! Well done.

26. Oh my. Clearly something off with off with David. Well done, Siobhan; I can really see this as it unfolds.

27. I’ve always loved dark comedies and I must say that this is one of my favorites. Short, subtle, yet powerful. Cheers! 🙂

28. rheath40 says:

Oooohhhh that was good. Loved it.