Shattered: A 100-word story for Friday Fictioneers

This is my contribution to the weekly 100-word story group Friday Fictioneers. This week’s photo prompt comes courtesy of the group’s host Rochelle Wisoff-Fields. To find out how to get involved or to link to other contributions, click here

************

24032014

© Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

Shattered

Kristina loved the abandoned railway station’s peeling paint and ornate metalwork. She traced her finger along a star-shape in the balcony mesh … and froze. A man was standing in the foyer below.

Four balaclava-clad men crashed in, spread a tarpaulin on the floor and threw the man down.

Within minutes they were gone but their gunshots had shattered Kristina’s only sanctuary.  She eventually found the courage to leave by a back window.

The evening news showed an American diplomat missing from Germany. It was a face Kristina would never forget, but she was puzzled. What was he doing in this provincial Ukranian city?

94 Responses to Shattered: A 100-word story for Friday Fictioneers

1. Locomente says:

Aw,.. This is scary… Thank heavens that they didnt see her or hurt her too..
    Sad that she has to live with this…
    Nice!

2. Good one Siobhan, I would think many Ukraine cities might be dangerous places right now.

No doubt this scene will stick with her. Chilling in its possibility.

4. K.Z. says:

chilling! this reminds me so much of the mystery and suspense novels that i used to read. i feel like soon, the men are gonna be chasing her too!

5. Well done story with political overtones which make it current and realistic. Very good thing she remained quiet and hidden.

6. Siobhan, this is a well-rendered bit of political intrigue. I have a feeling it will be some time before Kristina feels safe there again.

7. Mystery, intrigue and suspense- as well as marginal relief that she didn’t get hurt… wonder what she’ll do next though!

8. Siobhan,
    you have the makings of a spy thriller here and with Ukraine, you could tie it to recent events. I like that you put the main character outside the main action and put it in the context of her private sanctuary. Nice job.
    -David

9. atrm61 says:

Oh my!That must have been terribly scary and must have scarred her for life-poor girl!Nothing and no pne is safe in today’s violent world-so sad!Great take on the prompt Siobhan 🙂

10. Ah the intrigue! Nicely done.

11. Great take on the prompt, Siobhan. I can imagine a whole story based on what you’ve given here.

12. JudahFirst says:

Loved it! The old elevator-looking photo prompt lends itself well to a mystery of some sort. Definitely give us more!

13. JackieP says:

Definitely scary thing to witness. Good story.

14. Now, this is a mystery, indeed!

15. Liz Young says:

This reads like the beginning of a longer story – an industrial espionage one maybe?

16. Shandra says:

Intrigue ! Plot twist, international implications. Nice.

17. storydivamg says:

Interesting vignette here, Siobhan. It’s a universal theme that could have taken place in some many different locations. Nicely woven.

Cheers!
    Marie Gail

18. Wow! You really had me standing there watching the whole thing. You really did well with only 100 words! 🙂

19. Rajlakshmi says:

that’s indeed scary. Brilliantly penned.

Nicely topical – and I felt like I was there. Well done.

Good story and now she could have a target on her. She is a witness to the murder. Great writing! Nan

22. I could feel how traumatised Kristina was by what she witnessed. Good one, Siobhan.

23. EagleAye says:

Ooh, so interesting. You leave me wanting to know more. This sounds like the beginning of a great suspense novel.

24. Such creative use of the prompt, Siobhan! International intrigue, and the shattering of this girl’s refuge… The imagery really grabs me! Very well written.

25. elmowrites says:

that feels like so much more than 100 words and yet there’s so much left to this story! A fascinating start…

26. Has the feel of the movie “The Third Man.” Is that what you were going for?

27. Shattered peace. Oy!

28. gingerpoetry says:

Great Story with just few words – you really should go on with this. ´Very thrilling!
    Liebe Grüße
    Carmen

29. I think in today’s word no-one is safe.. this could be the start of a thriller.

30. Very realistic! You should continue with this story 🙂

31. R. E. Hunter says:

Hmm, very mysterious. Well done.

32. DCTdesigns says:

There are moments one can’t forget. And you have penned this one superbly.

nice. i see the seeds of a complete novel.

34. Ah, clever. I have my own thoughts on what he was doing there…

35. Lucy says:

What was he doing in the Ukraine? Good story. Lucy

A bit of political intrigue and spying! I wonder if she’ll just go back to her life, or if she’s going to get dragged in?

37. Maybe she herself is a spy in the making 🙂 Great work Siobhan.

38. Great job — it’s like a behind the scenes of a John Le Carre spy thriller!

39. Great topical stuff. A bit close to the bone? Hope it’s fiction.

40. erinleary says:

A lot of action in so few words. Leaves me wondering who she was and what she was doing there, too!

41. I like the way you have incorporated current events into this chilling tale.

42. Amy Reese says:

Oh, I’m glad she didn’t get caught in the crossfire. That would be a horrible thing to witness and especially since it happened in her sanctuary. Really effective and current piece. Well done thriller!

43. Sun says:

what a tough situation she faced and thankfully she went undetected. definitely a thriller story in the making. i enjoyed your story.

44. Bryan Ens says:

your title is extremely appropriate. That would be a shattering experience…especially for a child.

sounds like the opening scene from a spy thriller.

46. Pingback: “I saw what you did” | siobhanmcnamara