Diary of a cameraman

My contribution to the weekly 100-word story group Friday Fictioneers run by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields

The current prompt is this photograph by © Danny Bowman

07032014

Diary of a cameraman

Imagine the tiger’s rippling beauty; the majesty of elephants crossing vast plains in trunk-to-tail formation; birds filling the sky with colour and music.

What I would give to travel back in time.

Nature has no place in fortified townships where the sea steadily corrodes defences built by quarrying whole mountain ranges.

But I feel in my every fibre the presence of wild creatures here on this Himalayan island. Seeing such a rarity has been my lifelong ambition. Getting here has been arduous.

I activate my eye-cam and creep towards the mound, hoping my thumping heart will not give me away.

54 Responses to Diary of a cameraman

1. Hala J. says:

Very sad setting, and—unfortunately—it isn’t even that far-fetched. I liked how you whipped up a beautiful scene of the wild in the first few lines. I wonder what your MC managed to find?

2. Kwadwo says:

A typical wildlife story – a nice and unique take on the prompt.

3. vbholmes says:

Visual descriptions of nature given additional focus in your third line. Well done.

4. What a fabulous story. It was like a whole novel in a few words. It prompted my imagination to think hopeful things. Like he discovers a plain full of beasts and goes on to establish a nature reserve. Forgive me, I can’t help it, I seem to be an undying optimist regardless of evidence to the contrary.
    I reckon while there is life there is hope!

5. Well done Siobhan! Vivid and colourful 🙂

6. Dear Siobhan,

Your story put me right next to your cameraman. Well done

7. Siobhan, I felt the excitement of being out in nature and the beauty of it. Great way to start the day.

8. Very poetic and beautifully written prose.

i was taken by the imagery you presented. just like a movie scene.

10. Thanks plaridel, in the back story in my head the MC had learnt about wildlife from watching old documentaries archived in his university

11. I read this several times. Great visually and really appreciated your use of kinesthetic senses.

Just a thought… think this could have been reduced to 60 words:

12. Sarah Ann says:

Such beautiful descriptions of a future world that will mean disaster for so much and so many. The feelings of your protagonist are very well drawn. Good luck to him.

13. hugmamma says:

You make me want to travel there with you…

14. Your imagery is superb and makes the loss of the natural world even more poignant, Siobhan. Greta story.

15. glossarch says:

I liked the vivid description.

16. Sun says:

your cameraman’s diary makes me want to read more on the adventure. nicely done, Siobhan

I hope this isn’t a taste of the way things will be in a hundred years, but I can’t help feeling things are going in that direction.
    Great take on the prompt!

18. A not so happy view of the future. Wish you were wrong.

19. DCTdesigns says:

Siobhan you imagery was so vivid. I felt like I was looking through the lense. Incredibly visceral writing and sadly foretelling.

20. Very disturbing and with an ominisense that ring too true.. sad sad.. and well written

21. K.Z. says:

absolutely loved the vivid imagery in this piece. a sad view of the future… but your writing was very compelling

22. atrm61 says:

Loved the tone you set with your rich imagery and hooked the reader and the phrase,” ..where the sea steadily corrodes defences built by quarrying whole mountain ranges”,was amazing.Loved that he hopes to capture the wildlife in the Himalayan island on his camera and not shoot them and has undertaken such a difficult journey to be able to do it 🙂

23. Beautifully described natural environment gradually being eroded away by mankind not caring enough. Let’s hope we all wake up before it becomes a reality. Well done Siobhan

24. Terrific piece of writing, Siobhan.
    AnElephant loves it.

25. This is great, Siobhan. I like the touch about the Himalayan island too. I guess this is a future where the ocean levels have risen quite a bit?

26. This was great but I really feel I have to know more.

27. litadoolan says:

Enjoying your work. Looking forward to reading more of this story.